Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Through My Eyes

Living with bad vision is actually pretty funny at times.
Although it may be frustrating at the time, having to walk the length of my dresser with my face four inches from the surface in order to find a fairly prominent object, like headphones, or keys, is pretty amusing to watch.

I think another thing that's pretty funny about bad vision is when I wake in the night, hear a noise, see an object in the corner of my room, and huddle under the covers for a full five minutes running a dialogue with myself,
"Is that a person? I don't know, maybe if I watch for a minute I'll be able to see if it moves...there! It moved! Geez!! It moved!!!!"
I do this for a while before finally mustering up the courage to get up and look, only to find that it was really just a chair, or coat. The worst part is when someone sticks something in your room while your sleeping. Your brain knows something's wrong with the scene, but your eyes can't help decipher the new object. It can be scary.

I occasionally walk into walls, doors, or cabinets. My eyesight is THAT bad. Before I got my eyes checked, I often would miss large things that others were pointing out to me.
Person: "See the hawk? Look!!"
Me: "Where!! don't see it! Where is it!?!"
Or better yet,
Person: "Hahaha, that's a funny billboard!!"
Me: "Where?!! What billboard"

Parents, if your kid can't see billboards, take them to the doctor!!

I, like others, I'm sure, am lost without my contacts. It's been years and years since I last wore glasses, and I have no idea where they are even if I did want to wear them. I am a contact fan, through and through.

Overall, thanks to the 21st century people with bad eyesight can now drive cars, get jobs, and walk with confidence. technology and research has added a new level of quality to life, a quality that used to be only given to those who had good eyesight naturally.

People bumping into things, being unable to identify people, and trying to read the clock on the wall is pretty hilarious. But without the objects we now take for granted, like contacts and glasses, bad eyesight would be no laughing matter.