Sunday, February 5, 2012

Apples and Oranges

Today I got to thinking about how incredibly different my two dogs are from each other.
Any of you who have owned pets can understand what I mean when I say that no two pets have the same personality.
My dogs, are no exception.

Essie, the younger dog, is super vocal. She barks about everything. If she hears a noise, she barks about it, if she's excited, she barks about it. The most entertaining aspect of her vocalization is that anytime anyone calls out my name (me, being the human) she freaks out and barks.
She is also very much a one master kid of pet. She follows me from room to room. Even if she is sound asleep and I leave the room, a few moments later she's wandering around trying to find me.
Also, Essie has an attitude. If she's angry at me she might poop on the floor and stare at me. She doesn't like children, she might snap at someone she doesn't like.
I am, without doubt, her only master. I am her alpha, she knows better than to snap at me because I might snap back.

Digit, the older dog, is much more laid back. She doesn't bark as much, she likes toys with fluff and softness, where Essie prefers a tennis ball.
Digit would never snap at anyone, you could sit on her and she would just look at you with sad eyes.
Digit has phobias. She's afraid of stairs and metal food bowls, she doesn't like to be carried either.
Digit is also less motivated. If she wants something, but doesn't get it, she's more likely to give up and take a nap. If people are leaving the room, she'll stay just because she's comfy.

I describe their personalities like this.
If I go away for a week or two, when I come back, Digit jumps around like she's saying,
"Yay!! You're back, you're back!!"
Essie sulks around like she's grumbling,
"You left me, you left me! I can't believe you left."


Essie
Digit and I