Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Hard Way

Contentment is so underrated.
There is no measure of value that can be given to contentment.

You know that saying "You never know what you have until it's gone"?
I can attest to the truth in the phrase.

Tonight, my parents and I randomly went to get doughnuts with my grandpa at 9:00 pm. We watched the doughnuts come winding off of the assembly line. Fresh and crisp, they called to me with golden scents.
The "hot and fresh" sign blinked slowly in the window, flashing a soft red glow onto the pavement outside. Inside, a line of ten or twelve people all were waiting to get their hands on those fresh doughnuts.
We walking into the chaos with amusement, savoring the oddity of our chosen activity.
Finally, I bit into a plump chocolate covered doughnut with cream in the middle. The taste was indescribable. We talked and laughed and ate those doughnuts with relish.
I sat with my family at that table with an extra sense of appreciation.

Some people realize what they had when they loose it, and they live their entire lives sorrowful of their loss. Very few, like me, actually get a second chance to appreciate it.

I may not be smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes. In fact I'm one of those people that is just destined to learn everything the hard way.
However, one thing's for sure about learning things the hard way, it's impossible to forget things I've learned that way. They're painful and raw and continually reminding me about how much I have to be content about.

Maybe learning things the hard way isn't such a bad thing. After all, I am exceptionally hard-headed.