Sunday, January 8, 2012

Interview Jitters

I got a job interview!!!!!!
I've been working at the same vet clinic since I was sixteen. I adore my job, however, I'm transferring to a new school soon. UTK to be exact, they have a great record for getting their animal science majors into vet school, which is my ultimate goal. Anyway, although I've been working at the same clinic for years, I'm still just barely clearing minimum wage, not a very good fact for a vet tech, which is not an entry-level position.
I decided to put out my feelers. One of the reasons that I haven't gotten regular pay raises is because the clinic where I work is fairly small. Much to my delight, the morning after I went around town putting out resumes I got a call from a manager offering a job interview. I'm so excited! But I'm also very nervous. I've compiled a list of the all-time worst interview questions just for fun, and here they are:
1 (why do you want this position?)
Such an innocent question, but as a vet tech, I struggle with this question. Simply saying, "I love animals" is definitely not a good answer, but the problem is, that IS why I love vet tech work! I gravitate towards animals everywhere I go. I can't pass a dog without feeling joy, I can't pet a cat without smiling. Such a conundrum.
2 (what is something that you could improve on as an employee?)
The apocalyptic question! Basically, why are you too good to be true? What are your giant unavoidable flaws? Such a hard question! It's impossible to answer this question without sounding like a suck up or like a liar. "I work too efficiently." "I put work ahead of my social life" "I'm too effective/awesome/adaptable" I HATE this question!!!
3 (why should we consider you over the other applicants?)
"I don't know, because I want it more?" This question makes it difficult not to look like I'm begging. I want to impress this person, but I hate being directly ordered, "Impress me! Now!!" So annoying.

So really, what is the best way to approach interviews? The truth is, there is no blanket answer for all interviews on earth. Every employer is looking for different things and will be impressed by different things. The answer? I'll walk into that interview looking well-groomed and positive, and do the very best that I can.