Friday, March 30, 2012

When the time is right...

I've seen the suffering.

Danny is too weak to lift his head for water. He trembles, laying on his side, IV tubes snaking around him like chains. Blind, deaf, and scared, he is living out his last days. Each breath he takes is short, irregular, and possibly his last. But for whatever reason, his lungs are stubborn, and he breaths on and on.
Twice a week he comes in to get fluid drained from his abdomen. Four times a day he takes three pills, medicine that is keeping him alive. He can't walk anymore, he eats mush because he can't chew solid food.
Danny has been in this condition for three years. Euthanasia would be merciful for Danny, but his owners are against any such intervention.

Danny is a Golden Retriever.

I work at a vet, and Danny comes in all the time. At this point he is living artificially. Without even one of his medications, he would die.
Myself and every one of my co-workers will be relieved when he passes away. He isn't living, he doesn't even know what's going on anymore.

It is in these situations when I truly hate the hardcore anti-euthanasia activists of this world. I just want to shake Danny's owners and say, "Look at how your dog is suffering!"

Unlike human medicine, animal medical procedures largely accept euthanasia. This is partly because animal medicine is not as advanced as human medicine. There is so much to be said about the quality of life that older pets experience. Up to a certain point, senior pets can live very happily. They might need some medication, more naps, but that can be said for seniors of any species. However, when a pet's health has deteriorated to the point where Danny's health has been for ages, there's no reason to drag it out for years and let the animal suffer.

Here's where I switch over to euthanasia for people. If it's humane to put down an animal when they're dying or suffering, why is it not logical to allow the same thing for people?

I, for one, have always said that when it's time for me to pack up to go to a nursing home I'm going to pack two things, a bullet and a gun. As far as I'm concerned as soon as I have to get someone else to wipe my butt, life has officially ended.

On a medical note though, if someone is dying of a terminal illness or is living with a painful medical disorder, they should have the right to choose to die with a little dignity.

Now, there's a right and a wrong way to approach this. I'm not claiming to know the correct method of introducing human euthanasia into today's society or even the guidelines for doing so. I'm just saying that when it comes time, my dog will have the benefit of a humane and dignified death.
I only hope that when my time comes I have the same option.
Link: Photo Source